Friday, March 27, 2009

Nanning, China



It has been 2 days since I wrote. Last night I was just too worn out, so I went to bed as soon as Mikenna did. We are making tiny baby steps. She is still grieving the lost of her foster mom. Mikenna lived on a dairy farm about 1 hour outside of Nanning. The population in Nanning is about 2 million people. 98% of the people are from the ethnic group called the Gzaung(pronounced John) the other 2% are from the ethnic group called the Han people. Our rep thinks Mikenna is from the Han group. Yesterday we went to Walmart and Pizza Hut and Mikenna decided that that would be a good time to throw her first tantrum for us. I felt like every Chinese person around was judging me as the worst parent. Mikenna tried a little of the crust at Pizza Hut but didn't taste much more. We know she like french fries. Today started off calm for her. She loves to be outside. We went to a place called the Green Mt. It is very warm and muggy here. It is suppose to be in the 80's tomorrow. It wouldn't be so terrible except that Mikenna is stuck like glue to me and will not let Paul hold her. She seems to have bonded completely to me. This is what we were hoping for but now it would be great for her to start to even look at Paul. We also know why all the pictures we had of her she was never smiling. She hates the camera. If she even hears it turn on, she'll look the other way. Please continue to pray for Mikenna's grieving. She is so little and does not understand what has been going on the last couple of days. We saw a small smile yesterday and a couple times today. That is progress! We've had a lot of interesting food but have found one restaurant that tries to serve somewhat American food. We don't think we'll be eating Chinese any time soon back home. Sorry I went on, I just wanted to update you about what we've been doing in Nanning. We miss you all and appreciate your emails and notes on the blog.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're seeing some little smiles! I just can't stop thinking about all of you and praying for Mikenna's grief. It must be so hard to see. I love seeing her with her little green soccer ball in each picture! It reminds me of Ella -- we went all around China with a little green cup! It's amazing the small things that give them comfort! Hang in there, Lori and Paul -- this will all seem like a blur in a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This note is from me (Heidi). I've been trying for several days to figure out how to write to you (I'm so computer illiterate). Mikenna is absolutely beautiful. She reminds me of our little angel. We're praying for her and you and Paul. Luckily, at this age, they adjust pretty quickly, even if it seems like an eternity right now.

    ReplyDelete